8 oz. lean ground beef (or chicken or turkey)
Taco seasoning, to taste (recipe in files)
1 – 10 oz. can *Rotel mild diced tomatoes & green chiles
4 eggs + 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
Fresh cilantro, chopped (to taste)
Mockamole (recipe in files), optional
*Pico de Gallo, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium frying pan, brown ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning.
3. Spread ground beef evenly into a 9 x 9 inch baking dish.
4. Drain Rotel, spread evenly over beef mixture.
5. Pour beaten eggs over the top, sprinkle with chopped cilantro (to taste.)
6. Bake 25 minutes or just until center of casserole is set and eggs no longer jiggle. Do not over bake or the eggs will go from tender to tough.
7. Cut casserole into 4 squares, stack 2 on top of each other on a plate and serve topped with shredded lettuce, cilantro, mockamole and Pico de Gallo.
8. Refrigerate the remaining 2 squares for another serving.
Servings: Entire recipe = 16 oz. lean protein (8 oz. ground beef + 4 whole eggs + 2 egg whites) + 4 C. veggies (including the tomatoes, lettuce, Pico de Gallo.); ½ recipe = 8 oz. lean protein + 2 C. veggies
Recipe by Janeva Eickhoff